Necessity is truly the mother of all inventions....and my situation was no different. Around a year ago, I found myself through a dead battery for my Ryobi 18V cordless tools and also no way of acquiring a brand-new one as I was functioning overseas. For this reason I came up with a setup to run my tools off AC (household current) safely and with no concerns of my devices dying halfway right into the job.Now I enjoy all the services of battery operated power tools just as lot as the following guy....They"re convenient, flexible, and you deserve to usually gain quite an assortment of devices that operation off the exact same battery. Climate the inescapable happens....you get the dreaded blinking set of lamp on her charger and also the batteries die out almost instantly. Your confronted with two options.....Drop $50-$100 on a new set of batteries or try rebuilding lock yourself. Neither one of those two choices appealed come me nor did I have actually the time come order the parts from overseas. Together anyone in my case might do, i scoured the web for an different solution. I found guys connecting vehicle batteries to your drill...ummmm no thanks. Then ns came across the idea of making use of an old laptop strength supply in place of the battery.....The voltage seemed right, however alas the wattage was also small. Also at 180 watts, the best pc power offers couldn"t carry out enough to get over the start-up present of mine battery operated circular witnessed or edge grinder. The major of the pc power supply was sound, I just needed something bigger. After ~ a little an ext research I found that the common everyday laptop strength supply is what they speak to a "switch power supply". Transforms out, switching power gives are very common all over in the world, affordable and come in a variety of voltage and also power ratings... Ns eventually determined a 350w AC/DC strength supply produced by a reputable firm called Meanwell v a voltage range of 15-18volts DC.Wiring that the strength supply to a dead battery is really straightforward, however the adhering to instructable goes through the details step-by-step.
You are watching: A battery-operated power tool, such as a cordless drill, converts
Before beginning please recognize you have a strength supply capable of discharging 20Amps. Return the setup is fairly simple, if you room not comfortable working v electronics, please look for professional help on this Instructable.The cable exiting the battery and also connector of the DC outlet indigenous the strength supply room made from an conventional 120VAC wall surface plug. The plug and cable to be selected for ease of availability and to allow me to usage a standard expansion cable if needed. Because that my case, I will be the just individual using this setup.Under no scenarios would i plug an AC powered appliance, device or otherwise, right into this strength supply. If you pick to do this setup please think ahead who might be using it. If there is the remote opportunity of someone not trained to using this setup, i would imply using a different type of connector and cable. Something much more unique but capable of dealing with the amps. One recommended cable is that of a twisted lock generator plug.
Material• (1) dead 18v Ryobi battery• (1) 15v 350w AC/DC switching power supply• (1) IEC C14 electric receptacle (for just arrived AC power)• (1) conventional 120vac receptacle come be offered as the DC output or a twist-lock generator receptacle• (1) computer power cable (has the mating connector because that the C14 receptacle• (1) 16-18awg extension cord (male connector is essential or a male twist-lock generator plug)• (1) tiny toolbox (big sufficient for the power supply and also to keep the battery)....a 50cal ammo deserve to works yes, really well too.Tools• tiny Philips screwdriver• needle nose pliers• cable cutters• hot glue gun• 2 component epoxy• soldering iron• razor blade• hacksaw blade• drill• multimeter
1. Utilizing the Philips screwdriver, remove the 6 screws at the base of the battery (special thanks to my lovely 5 year old)2. Separate the 2 halves that the housing and pull the end the battery packa. Conserve the (2) yellow square buttons and the adjustment steel spring3. Reduced the leader from the battery to the terminal block4. Conserve the plastic terminal block and the optimistic (+) and an adverse (-) terminal strips
1. Using heavy gauge strength cord (16 awg) cut off the female receptacle end. The length of the cord is approximately you. Psychic this cord is going to be associated up to your strength supply, yet you can always use an expansion cord if your tool will be much from the strength supply. I discover 3-5 ft the cord is sufficient.2. Routing the wire....There space 2 optionsOption A: Drill a feet in the battery sheathe the diameter that the outer jacket the the wire. The place of the hole is your choice. You have the right to even add a rubber boots over the wire as it exit the battery cover to act as a strain-relief.Option B: install a swivel adapter I"ve designed and will be making easily accessible on www.shapeways.com in the close to future. This swivel adapter permits the cable come pivot indigenous the front of the battery pack to the rear everywhere within the 180deg angle. The remainder that this tutorial will be making use of the swivel adapter. I"ve also uploaded the stl records onto www.thingiverse.com under the title of "18V Battery Swivel Cable Lock" if girlfriend have access to a 3D printer.3. Cut back around 6" that the outer jacket insulation native the cable4. Strip and also tin around 1/4" the the leads.5. The swivel adapter consists of (3) components (2) clamp halves (1) swivel base6. Make sure the clamp halves can fully encircle the OD that the outer jacket that the cable7. Sand the i would of the clamp halves till you gain a snug fit approximately the jacket
1. Mark out a 1/2" large path ~ above the bottom of the battery cover to be cut off.2. Making use of a 1/8" bit, drill a collection of holes along the route long sufficient to get a hacksaw tongue to proceed the cut.3. There will certainly be 2 standoffs native the original screws ~ above the within of the bottom cover along the route of whereby you will certainly be cutting.....cut castle off.
1. Feed the wire with the slot that the bottom cover2. Using some "Super Glue", affix the clamp halves come the sheet of the external jacket3. Rally the swivel adapter to the clamp halves, feeding the stripped wires with the small slot the the swivel adapter4. Epoxy the swivel adapter to the inside of the bottom cover
1. Reduced off around 4" the the exposed 8" of unsheathed wire2. Piece the about 1/4" the insulation from the wires and also solder them to the confident and an adverse terminal strips (see the attached photo for the polarity that the cable)3. Re-assemble the terminal block and also install it right into the top half of the battery cover4. Usage a hot glue pistol to to fill the cavity whereby the terminal block sits5. Connect wires indigenous the top half cover come the bottom half cover utilizing wire nuts or cable lugs.6. Reassemble the top and also bottom halves the the battery cover making use of 4 the the 6 screws. Mental to download the yellow side buttons and also springs.
Now that is time to do the real estate for the power supply. 1. Species the strength supply in the box to enable room because that the battery adapter and also the AC inlet plug and the DC outlet plug2. Make a theme for the 4 M4x6 mounting screws the the power supply to carry the ar onto the box. Drill holes in the box to mount the power supply. But don"t mount it simply yet.
See more: Sea Inlets Bordered By Steep Cliffs Answers, Long Narrow
1. Situate where you want to mount the just arrived AC and also outgoing DC receptacles top top the box. I favor mounting one at every end and dressing the wires under the strength supply.2. Solder (3) 12" 16awg gauge leads to the IEC C14 electrical receptacle because that incoming AC power on the positive, neutral and also ground leads.3. Solder (2) 12" 16awg leads to the conventional 120vac receptacle because that outgoing DC power on the positive and an adverse leads.4. Make a pair of templates of the receptacle profile and transfer the outline to the box. Making use of a sharp utility knife, make number of passes until you cut out the holes because that the two receptacles.5. Affix the receptacles either by screw, glue or snap fit; whichever it to be designed for6. Use some hot glue end the leads on the receptacle to defend the exposed terminals
1. Enclosed the leader of the connectors come the indicated leads that the strength supply.2. Download the plastic protective cover over the terminals of the strength supply3. Make sure the selector switch on the power supply is collection for your country"s voltage, either 120 or 240VAC.4. Plug in your portable power supply using a standard computer cable for the AC receptacle.5. Plugin the battery adapter into the DC receptacle.6. Revolve on the power supply v the switch located on the IEC C14 electric receptacle7. Making use of a multimeter, check the polarity of the battery terminals and readjust the pot on the strength supply (small plastic philips screw to the much left of every the terminal connectors) to above 18VDC.8. When confirmed everything is reading correctly, mount the strength supply within the box and also dress the wires nicely under or behind it.9. Plug in your battery adapter into your favourite 18V CORDLESS tool and also enjoy continuous use.