St Catherine Jamaica is the island"s 2nd largest parish with an area of roughly 1,192 square km.
You are watching: Which parish is the largest in jamaica
It is bordered through the parishes of St. Andrew, St. Mary, St. Ann and Manchester.The capital of St. Catherine is Spanish Town, originally known as san Jago de la Vega or Santiago de la Vega. This was Jamaica"s FIRST capital. The parish is situated in the Middlesex County.St. Catherine"s population in 2008 was registered as 615,650 residents.
There are some renowned towns discovered in this parish that room mentionable. This towns space Portmore, Old Harbour, Ewarton and Linstead. There are much an ext towns in the parish however these are the much more popular ones.
A Brief history on St Catherine Jamaica
When the first Spanish colonists arrived in 1510 to create “Sevilla Nueva” (New Seville) in St. Ann together the capital of Jamaica, the area was found to it is in swampy and unhealthy. A find party was developed to find a much more suitable area because that settlement and also in time, the brand-new capital “Santiago (or St. Jago) de la Vega was established and also in 1534, the parish of St. Catherine to be formed. The parish was called for Queen Catherine that Portugal, mam to Charles II that England.After overcoming the Spanish in 1655, the British change the name Santiago de la Vega “Spanish Town”. It ongoing as the capital and also eventually the house for the British branch of the island. The an initial King’s house (the main residence of the Governor) was likewise built there. Countless distinguished tourists were welcomed, consisting of Admiral Rodney, Horatio Nelson and William Bligh (who lugged several plants including the an initial breadfruit plant to the island). The town gradually ended up being the island’s governmental centre -housing the Parish Council, the residence of Assembly and also the supreme Court.After the Morant just Rebellion of 1865, governor Sir man Peter approve ordered the remove of the capital to Kingston which, v its spectacular harbour and major trade links had involved be considered “the natural resources of the island”. The formal move of the resources was effected in 1872. In 1867, once the variety of parishes was diminished from twenty-two come fourteen, the borders of St Catherine Jamaica were broadened to combine the previous parishes that St. Dorothy, St. John and St. Thomas-in-the-Vale.Once greatly rural, St Catherine Jamaica now includes the fastest farming urban areas in Jamaica, with the recent advance of residential neighborhoods in the Hellshire Hills attached to both Kingston and Spanish Town. The brand-new development of better Portmore grew from 5,100 in 1970 come 93,799 in 1991 and also in Spanish Town, throughout the same period, the population of Spanish Town increased from 39,204 come 110,379.
St Catherine Jamaica"s Monuments and also Historic Buildings
Ferry InnEstablished ~ above April 17, 1684, it came to be the most crucial posting home in the island and was an extremely popular through the wealthy. The Inn is still offered as a ar for refreshment and recreation with avenues for rafting ~ above the Ferry River.Passage FortFirst well-known as “The Passage” (the suggest of Spanish embarkation native St. Jago de la Vega – Spanish Town), this fort was used by Captain william Jackson and Sir Anthony Shirley, englishmen from Barbados and also St. Kitts respectively, who landed here in 1642 and also went on come plunder Spanish Town.Another major historical event linked with this ft was the 1655 landing of Admiral Penn and General Venables. Having failed to catch Haiti (Santo Domingo), the English expedition came to Jamaica, attacking Passage fort with some 36 ships, troops numbering 7,000 and also a sizable regiment. ~ the early advance, the Spaniards deserted the fort, fleeing native the progressing English invaders. A couple of days later, the Spaniards surrendered, relinquishing their 161 year host on the island.Port HendersonNamed after Colonel john Henderson the the 18th century brothers militia, this fishing town once had actually a health resort near its mineral spring. That is part of a wider area now well-known as the “Hellshire (Healthshire) Hills”. Harbor Henderson was built as a rival to passage Fort, and is said to have actually provided better accommodation because that ships. Close to the finish of the 19th century, a short-term Marine/Zoology activities was operated below by student of the john Hopkins college (Baltimore, Maryland).Port Henderson is the website of number of historic buildings which have actually been restored and preserved as nationwide monuments including “Rodney’s Lookout” one old signaling terminal on the west of port Henderson, called after Admiral George Rodney who was when commander-in-chief the the Jamaican navy station. There are additionally a number of Taino sites.
Meet "The SQUARE"
Jamaica"s emancipation Square can be found in Spanish Town and also it is the only Georgian square in Jamaica. It is the home of some great tourist sites and also important places. Right here are few of the places uncovered in "the square" the St Catherine Jamaica.
1. The Old king HouseHome come the Governors the Jamaica for some 100 years, king House, on the west the the square, sometimes housed the the supervisory board Chamber, and also welcomed many distinguished visitors in its day. Charred down in 1925, old king’s House has been partially revived and is currently the residence of the ‘Folk Museum’ which was developed in 1961.
2. The Rodney MemorialLocated at the northern side that the Spanish town Square, this memorial has a statue, crafted by john Bacon, of the famed British Admiral, mr Rodney. That commemorates his success over the French at the “Battle of the Saints” ~ above April 12, 1782, turn off the shore of Jamaica.
3. The Old home of AssemblyOpposite the Old King’s residence is the red-brick building which to be the house of Assembly till 1872 once Jamaica’s resources was transferred to Kingston. The can be fried Court was likewise housed here, and the offices of the Island Secretary, Provost Marshal, the register in Chancery and the Clerks that Crown and Court.
4. St. James Cathedral (Spanish Town)Built in about 1525 on the website of the Spanish chapel the the Red Cross, this cathedral stands now as the earliest ecclesiastical structure in the British empire (outside of the united Kingdom).
When the British overcame the Spanish in 1655, the English damaged the existing cathedral, and also built in that stead an Anglican church which was demolished by one earthquake in 1712, and rebuilt in 1714. In 1843, the church was named the Cathedral the the Anglican Diocese, in honour of the patron saint – St. James.
This cathedral is constructed in the type of a cross. The aisles room dotted v the tombstones of numerous notables in Jamaican history. Situated near to the house of Assembly and the Old king’s House, the St. James Church has the earliest existing Anglican records some of i beg your pardon date ago to 1668.St Catherine Jamaica has actually a lot of of background and is said to be one of the island"s parishes that reflects the many potential for urban development. With the an excellent water resources, flat landscape and also nearness to the funding city, St. Catherine could possibly be one of the Caribbean"s significant urban locations in the next few years.
See more: The Two Second Rule Applies To Any Speed, The Two Second Rule
Sources:Senior, Olive, Encyclopedia of Jamaican Heritage. St. Andrew, Jamaica: twin Guinep Publishers Ltd., 2003Jamaica information Service, St. Catherine. Kingston: Jamaica details Service, (Parish Profiles), 1991.Map that Jamaica, 1895
If you found this page useful, please feel complimentary to i ordered it to mine weekly newsletter, The Jamaica Land us Love Digest.
It offers you info every week about the new information that i have included to the site, including any new developments and good Jamaican story from Jamaicans and lovers that Jamaica worldwide!